Sunday

Native American Unit

We finished up our unit on Native American's this past Friday. We did some fun crafts, read lots of books....but I have to say my heart wasn't in it as much...not nearly as much as our Human Body Unit. I guess I am just ready for break and so are the kids. But here is a little of what we did...


For the intro we read a couple story books; color coded a map with the different regions where the tribes lived. And started a picture dictionary (we wrote about 3 definitions per region in this book) About half the activities came from Evan-Moor History Pockets...mostly the Native American, but also the Colonial America and Plymouth Pockets.


The next 2 days we spent on the Tribes of the Great Plains. We made a book about the uses of buffalo, made a pop-up Tepee book and wrote words/phrases using the word Great Plains vertically. We got out our play tepee and role played the rules for coming in and eating in another's tepee. We made a headdress with feathers and beads and discussed what the feathers and other decorations symbolized.


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


The following 2 days were spent on the tribes of the Pacific North West....mostly the Tlingit. I found a nice website with a lot of info. I only used the totem pole resources, but of course saved the rest for later. We read the story of the Wellness Pole, and then colored and made one. We made a totem pole layer book and my oldest wrote who in our family would represent the various animals in the totem. We made a Potlatch mask. Oneof their favorite books came from this section too...we've read it many times in the past week.


Photobucket Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest


That was the end of the first week. The second week I realized we had to speed up a little, so we moved on to the Southwest- mostly the Navajo. This is the day I posted about taking 30 minutes to write 3 sentences and 10 minutes to read the word hogan. So we didn't have a very productive day. We started a little "weaving" (my boys don't like weaving, but they don't mind sewing...so we did that instead) And we read the book Eagle Boy. Read some of the New True Book: Navajo. That's about it.


Photobucket


Then we moved on to the Tribes of the South East. We read about the Trail of Tears and drew the trail on a map. He had a lot of questions about the Trail of Tears, and next time we are out visiting my mom we need to head over to the Cherokee Nation since she is in Tahelquah. We made made a Seminole headdress and talked about hominy. Then we took a trip down the road to the Sequoyah museum. They weren't too impressed- the little ones at least- but they did like listening to the mythology stories and my oldest stood awhile listening to the syllabary sounds. And another of their favorite stories: How the Turtle's Back was Cracked....they love these...we've gotten a few like it by Joseph Bruchac and James Bruchac in the past.


PhotobucketHow Turtle's Back Was Cracked: A Traditional Cherokee Tale


Next was the Great Lakes and Northeast Woodlands. This was our last stop....I didn't do the arctic. Here we read the story of the 3 Sisters and made a little corn book for that. We made a little dictionary for Native American words, and we re-wrote the peace treaty bewteen the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag. We never got to make the dream catcher...but we may do that still since I think they'd like it.


And that's about it.....here's the spread...luckily it all fits in the pocket book so I don't have to keep up with all the pieces.


Photobucket


I am not sure whay my verdict is on the Evan Moor History Pockets. One thing I didn't like was the amount of coloring. To me it is more busy work....but most of the coloring was done while listening to me read the informational readings so I guess it was okay. I think I like lapbooks better, but I may use some of the templates from the history pockets in future lapbooks.

1 comment:

  1. Even though you say your heart wasn't quite in I don't see it... Great Job! Nice Unit.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete