Friday

More than Flash Cards

My oldest is very good in math. BUT he hasn't memorized his addtion facts completely, and thus hasn't memorized or easily recall his subtraction facts. He can borrow, carry, do word problems, perimeter...He can add 189379+120869, but he can't always immediately tell me what 7+8 is. I was trying to come up with something that was a little more independent, and a little less boring that the standard flash cards. Plus something that didn't involve time, writing facts on a sheet of paper, etc....So here is what I made:


Photobucket


It has pockets from 1-20 and sticks for 0-20 both subtraction and additon. It hasn't passes the test yet since we are out of school and he knows it....but I'll give it a try when we get back to books at the beginning of July.

5 comments:

  1. This is really cool!!! I never thought to do something like that for math drills! It would work for basic multiplication too for my 4th grader who is my hands on learner stuck with his basic facts!

    Thanks for sharing this!

    Also thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog - so I would know about yours!!! LOVE IT. I've added you into my google reader - and if I may cast a vote of whether or not you continue with blogger....use blogger! (b.c my reader lets me know when you write a new post.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea. Our kids can't stand flashcards they are boring they say and I have to agree I bet they would like this creative game.

    Thanks for sharing.
    SHeila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Where do you find the little pockets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the little pockets using a lapbooking template for a mini-library pocket :)

      Delete