Monday

Random Thoughts

  • Today Paul started his summer class at UT. He is only taking one each session, and although I am excited and happy that he can finally go back to school and finish his degree, I am a little...anxious maybe? He will leave here at 8:30 every morning for class. Then go to work...so Mon-Saturday he will be gone from 8:30 am until after 9:30 pm. So the boys will see him maybe an hour a day. Sunday he will be gone only his normal 1-6 om. And if his sales stay up he will be able to keep his day off on Tuesday. It's like the terrible tent sales they have at work that takes him away from us for a week...only this is 2 months. But, in the long run it will be worth it. 2-3 years from now.
  • Yesterday was the last day of May, and I tallied up our produce for the month for the Freedom Harvest Challenge. 49.95 lbs. Which I thought was great! Considering we are in a rebuilding period for our strawberries, so close to 50 lbs with only carrots, radishes, peas and strawberries. I am sure the tally will be much higher for June since cucumbers and zucchinis will be going by then.
The forgotten zucchini, 2007
  • Speaking of zucchini....the dreaded squash bugs are back. The ones that nearly destroyed our gardens last year. Instead of 20+ zucchini we got about 3 before the plants wilted before our eyes. And instead of 20 cukes a day- we got about 10, not that great tasting ones, for the entire season. I am a bit more prepared, for now atleast. Every night we go and make the rounds. Remove the eggs we find and destroy any bugs we find. I am hoping that will be enough to help the plants survive....especially since I am growing about 4 different winter squashes too.
  • I am in the process of planning our upcoming school year. Does anyone else get completely overwhelmed looking at the Rainbow Resource Guide? I love that catalog- it's the size of a phonebook, but has about everything you could, plus reviews too. But my head is whirling with what I want to do....subjects I want to cover....things I want to get more serious about....extra activites I want to add.....book lists...etc....

"The Library" 2008
  • Speaking of book lists....our county library had it's summer reading program kickoff on Saturday. It's the first time we've ever been to the kickoff and it was a lot of fun. Crafts, a magician, free pizza. But better than that is that Rylan spent the entire hour of quiet time reading and has over a third of his list completed. Cohen wanted to sign up as a reader this year and has over 15 books that he has "read" or helped me read.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hate destructive vegetable bugs. We haven't had that problem, thankfully, but we have such a cold climate up here and so our vegetables don't seem to grow as fast or prolifically. Which can be a big bummer.

    I love your library picture! It's so sweet!

    So many thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning planning right now too. I have to admit I don't have the catalog and I'm feeling overwelmed. Maybe I didn't give myself enough of a break from ending school before planning for the next year. There is so much to do and trying to hone down what is really important is hard sometimes. Good luck to ya. see ya next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really tough with Paul being gone so much. Hope it goes quickly for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the schedule change. Things get hairy without Dad around. :( Hang in there - you'll come out on the other side tougher than when you went in. :)

    I HATE garden destroying bugs!! GRRR!

    ReplyDelete