Wednesday

24 Days of Christmas: Day8 and 9


Day 8:

American/Family Traditions

A Trip to the Tree Farm


We live less than a mile from a wonderful Christmas tree farm, and we look forward to going all year. The weather was rainy yesterday, but there was a short break and we jumped in the car.

A search to find the perfect tree


And get lost among the branches


And hold on tight to the ONE so you don't lose it in the crowd.


Rylan, who begged and begged to get the tree yesterday, came home mad. The tree wasn't right. It wasn't big enough. But he was out voted 5 to 1 and we brought this one home. But I suspect it was the fact that he didn't make the decision more than the tree that made him mad. He pouted for awhile, but as soon as we put the tree in place he quietly said- 'It looks bigger inside than it did outside' and help to decorate it.

Day 9:

Austria

Linzer Cookies

We have a trip to the local Fire Station tomorrow so I planned our activity today so that we would have something to bring for the fire fighters.

I found an easy recipe- so these aren't *real* Linzer cookies- there are no nuts in them. And I used our homemade peach jam for the filling.


Cale was my helper, as usual. Rylan helped some. The younger ones didn't have any interest.

Here was our recipe:

Cookies:
2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
grated orange/lemon rind

for tops:
jam/preserves (raspberry is usual, we used peach)
powdered sugar

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg. Add in dry and mix. The dough will be dry so you may have to knead it with your hands to form a ball. Chill it for easier handling. Roll out dough to about 1/4 in thickness.
You will need 2 cutter- one small, one larger. I used 2 stars. Cut the dough using the larger cutter, then using the smaller one, cut out the center of 1/2 the cookies. Bake at 350 for about 8 minutes.

Once cooled, spread the jam on the bottom cookie and place the cookie with the center cut out on top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.


They were beautiful to look at. And now we have lots of cookies for friends and firefighters.

5 comments:

  1. I like your tree and your cookies are making me hungry. Those turned out very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cookies!!! We might have to give those a try...

    And Rylan, I feel your pain. I always thought the tree was soooo small when it was out in the field. It's amazing how much bigger it looks in the house. It took me MANY years to get used to that bit of magic that happens when it comes in the door ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am envious that you can go to a Christmas tree farm. I would love to do that. Those cookies looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies are beautiful. Sometimes I wish for only one helper at a time in the kitchen. If I just go to the counter to pour a drink, somebody drags a stool over to "help". Good memories though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look fantastic! They did a great job. :)

    I love advent so much. I love waking up and finding out what we are going to do just as much as they do.

    Love Val

    ReplyDelete