Thursday

I give up....

Today marks day 180 in our school year. The requirement for the state of TN. So we are done....mostly.

This year has been....less than perfect. Less than fun. But that is how it goes, I guess. Sometimes life gets in the way. Things come up that push the fun, hands on learning stuff and the hand-written lesson plans and units aside.

Things like this:


And this :)


and most recently this:


But I am so thankful for our little co-op. It has added a lot of those extras in and gave the boys fun learning and experiences with friends.


and I am thankful for the field trip opportunities in our area, where you can learn so much just by experience.


And I am thankful for this blog- where I can look back and be reminded that we did actually do things this year...

like art


and astronomy


and learning new skills and sports



And I am reminded that our home, our life, gives us many experiences that "school" could not



So the 2010-2011 school year is over-

Happy summer vacation, for however long I decide to make it last....


7 comments:

  1. 180 for us today, too! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life certainly is full of surprises! Whether or not you sit down and do school formally daily or not, your kids are receiving the best education simply by living. Having a mom who obviously adores them, and gives of herself in so many ways is a wonderful lesson in loving and living. I have found that the older my girls get, the easier school gets. Much easier. No more nursing babies, or toddler tantrums. They know the drill and we fly through our work. More and more can be done without my help (excluding algebra! ;), which shows me how their independence is growing. Yay for summer vacation! :) Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are East Tennesseans too....and have been to Children's Hosptial.
    We have 3 days left....so happy! I have decided that next school year I will build in 10 sick/mental-time-off days since the public schools allow 5 unexcused absences per term.

    Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Summer vacation. Enjoy it. I love reading your blog. Greetings from Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Follwer here! Neat blog & beautiful family!!! I saw you on the Circle of Moms contest. I have 6 kiddos myself...all boys. And we homeschool as well. Feel free to check out my blog any ole time! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Follwer here! Neat blog & beautiful family!!! I saw you on the Circle of Moms contest. I have 6 kiddos myself...all boys. And we homeschool as well. Feel free to check out my blog any ole time! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, yes, we have had one of those years as well. I also always say my blog reminds me of what we DID get to. :)

    ReplyDelete