Sunday

Cale Cooks: Crock Pot Lasagna

 I had the boys write out a list of goals for the year last week. 10 of them. When they handed me their lists I saw some fun and easy goals and some really good long terms goals to work toward. One of Cale's was to make dinner 5 times a month. He already knew what he wanted to make:

Lasagna. 


When Annika was born we received 2 from friends delivering meals. Cale was in love. And to tell the truth- I have never made one. It seemed like a lot of work and preplanning- when I could just make spaghetti. (Cale likes baked spaghetti too, which falls under the same category for me...and he made that earlier this week for the Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet)


So he got all the supplies we lacked at the store and today he made dinner. Earlier in the week I came across a recipe for Crock Pot Lasagna and thought that it would be the perfect for him.


We changed it up just a bit, so here is the altered recipe:
4 cups tomato sauce ( I used our frozen Roasted Tomato Sauce from the summer)
8oz block of mozzarella cheese
15 oz container of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
uncooked lasagna noodles (he used more than half of a 16 oz pkg)

  •  Mix all of the cheeses together in a bowl
  •  Place 1 cup of sauce at the bottom of your crock pot
  • Layer noodles on top- break them up to cover the entire surface
  • spread 1/3 of the cheese on top of the noodles
  • Repeat these layers 2 more times
  • Top with the final cup of sauce
  • Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. The original recipe said 4, ours was done much sooner. I turned off the crock pot at about 3 hours and just let it sit until dinner which was 2+ hours  later.

Serve and enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Great job, Cale! I need to have the kids write a list like that. It's always nice to have goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being vegans, all of that cheese is a no-no... but that doesn't stop it from looking absolutely delicious!! What a great job he did, and he looks so proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cale, it looks amazing! We have never made crockpot lasagna (didn't know it even existed...always made the way-too-much-work version...) but this is something we could definitely get into!

    So fun to see what the boys are setting as goals. Kudos to you, mama, for making it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks tasty. I am going to have to try the recipes (although some other sauce) but, wow looks delcious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Cale did such an awesome job! I'm so happy you tried the lasagna and made it your own. I love homemade tomato sauce! How lucky are you to have some left over from the summer? I appreciate you linking back to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete