With the exception of one walk-thru gate the fence is done. Since our garden is on a hillside, we will have to rig something to keep animals from getting under our 10 ft. drive-thru gate and eventually we will finish the upper side which is currently a weedy, brushy, barbed wire fence row.
This weekend I transplanted all of my tomato seedlings into larger containers, planting them a deeper to help their stems get stronger. We still have about 6-8 weeks until they can go in the ground.
I also started our peas. Peas do just fine started directly in the ground. But I like to pre-sprout them so I won't have any holes in the pea rows. I've got 300 seeds going and I am still not sure that is enough. I plan to do another round in the fall, but garden peas are the one thing I don't think I could grow enough of. The kids pop them straight from the garden and we never cook them unless we actually get enough to freeze for later.
Today the kids helped me step off some of the garden beds. I hope to eventually have them raised throughout the garden, but all of that probably won't happen this year. Below is the current plan. Each of the beds is approximately 12' x 30', with the exception of 2 which are smaller due to the apple tree. I also have 2' pathway between each bed. All of this is subject to change, but for the time being it's what I am going with.
This post has been linked to the Homestead Barn Hop,