Friday

24 Days of Christmas: Day 10 and 11

Day 1o:

Scandinavia

Glögg

1 liter grape juice
2 cinnamon sticks
10 cloves
pinch of ginger
brown sugar to taste

combine juice and spices and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add brown sugar to taste. Serve hot.

We drank ours while reading from Joy to the World: Christmas Stories from Around the World

(more recipes)


Day 11:

Denmark

Ris ala Mande


I combined a couple different recipes, based on what we had in the house already....so here was my recipe:

4 cups milk
1 cup rice
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
whipping cream
1/2 cup chopped almonds*
1 whole almond

* we didn't have these, so I didn't put them in.

Bring milk, sugar and vanilla to a boil, add rice. Reduce temperature as low as it will go and simmer until the milk is absorbed. (1-2 hours depending on heat). I stirred mine every so often since rice likes to stick to my pot. Cool rice completely.

Whip heavy cream ( I added a couple T of sugar) until stiff peaks form. Fold into cool rice.
Add the whole almond. Whoever gets the bowl with the almond is said to have good luck and receive a special gift.

other recipes

This is the first time I have ever made or eaten a rice pudding. It reminded me of tapioca, which I do like....but probably not something I'd ever make again. My boys didn't care for it all that much either. I think we'll stick with our cookies instead....


3 comments:

  1. Nice Activities.
    I have been a little under the weather but, back up and going again. :)

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May the Peace, Love, and saving Grace of our risen savior Jesus Christ be visited upon you now and always. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete