Tuesday

Poorman's Crab Cakes

Our big zucchini plant wilted on Saturday. We have 2 smaller ones, and 2 tiny ones that were planted a month or so after the bigger one, we'll see if they make it.

So here's my last zucchini post, I promise....

I've mentioned before about my love of crabcakes, how it is basically the only meat I eat, and even about my childhood memories of crabbing....so when I came across this idea earlier this year I knew I'd have to give it a try when zucchini season came about....

Poorman's Crab Cakes
(aka a cheaper, vegetarian version)

2 cups grated zucchini
2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1-2 cloves garlic- minced
1 large egg
1 T Old Bay Seasoning
butter/olive oil for frying

Mix it all together and fry in butter/oil a couple minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve plain, with ketchup, tarter sauce, as a sandwich, etc....

*Notes*

Most recipes have 1 T of Mayo in them, I don't eat Mayo, don't want to eat it, so I skipped it. Feel free to add it back in

If you are avoiding high fructose corn syrup like we are I'll let you know that most commercial bread crumbs have it. (why????) So I made my own....about 3-4 slices bread, toasted to dry it a little. Add dried seasoning- thyme, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder... pulse in a food processor.


How'd they taste? Pretty good. They aren't Maryland or lump crabcakes, but they tasted pretty close, and I'll make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment