Sunday

More About Birds


 I had my camera out with me the other day, taking pictures of the garden, kids, etc. Like usual I was brought chickens to photograph. That is our Silkie chick up there. That is one spoiled bird. She's a tiny one, and gets toted around a lot. I'll admit she's pretty cute. Her name is Silkie.....only it's pronounced Sil-UH-key


This is Einstein. Check out her hat. This is another that gets carried around a lot. I don't think the poor thing can see very well with all that in her face. She's never with the flock and always lost somewhere by herself. Then there is Lavender. I am sad about this one. I've always wanted a Lavender Orpington and finally got one. And then she crowed.


Since we've talked about breeding birds we might keep him and hatch some eventually. He's still a pretty bird, I just wish he was a she!


Speaking of hatching, I mentioned our broody birds last time.  Black Hat was sitting on 6 eggs. One hatched.  Here she is with her little puff ball. She's a good mother and I love the sound of mother hen's clucking! Based on feathering I'd say this one came from a Black Australorp's egg.  We've got the peafowl eggs in the incubator now, they are at about day 11. Hatch day is around August 8. We had another bird go broody and we encouraged her once we saw the signs. I think we are finally sure of her broodiness to give her our beloved peafowl eggs. We'll make the swap later today, put her clutch in the incubator and give her the peafowl ones and hope for the best.


The turken went broody again in the old, run down chicken shed. We've tried to break her, but she hasn't gotten it yet. If she'd sit in the house we'd let her, but she wants her unsafe ledge. Last time we broke her by carrying her and holding her upside down for awhile.  It didn't work this time.


I hate to say it, but some birds just aren't pretty. The turken is one of them. The guineas are not much better. Though they are still adolescents.
 

Their feathers are pretty though.....wonder what I could do with them?



linked to  
The Homestead Barn Hop 
Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways

7 comments:

  1. Love finding new fun blogs!

    Newest follower from July's blog hop! Love for you to stop by Naptime Review and return the follow. Hosting Mom's Monday Mingle now. Love for you to link up. Last week we hit 200! Love to have you!

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you found my blog because that means I got to visit yours and fall in love with it!! I especially love that you homeschool your kiddos! Our son is only a couple of months old and my husband and I are already seriously considering homeschooling him. Definitely can't wait to read more of your posts! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your birds are so interesting looking! I love it! We have leghorns and araucanas...one of which also turned out to be a rooster - and he is currently trying to announce it to the world as I type out this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have four hens that are 20 weeks and we are waiting on that first egg. Love to see others and their chickens. Kids and chickens just go together don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is our first year with chickens! My kids love them. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you at True Aim!

    ReplyDelete