Friday

Home Dairy: Making Yogurt

 Cohen, Annika and Lakin are my big yogurt eaters around here. So yogurt was high on my list of things to make with our milk. My first attempt didn't go really well- trying to make raw milk yogurt, using a subpar brand for starter. But after that all my batches have turned out just fine. 


It's a pretty simple process....sterilize your equipment- I usually throw everything into my pot with water and boil it. Once that's done I pour what's left of the water into quart sized jars for use during the incubation period.


Heat the milk over low heat, stirring often. Once it hits 180* take it off the stove and allow it to cool to 110*. I put mine in a sink full of cold water to help this step go more quickly.


Once it's at 110* add the starter. I have been using a few tablespoons of plain organic yogurt from the store, but plan on buying cultures to see if it helps firm up the finished product a little bit. 


Stir well and pour into containers- preferable glass. Stick them in a cooler with your jars of really hot water and close the cooler. Allow it to sit for 6 hours undisturbed before checking on it. Put it somewhere prominent- I always forget about it and mine is on the kitchen table. Incubation time is 6-12 hours total. When its done stick it in the fridge to cool.

linked to The Homestead Barn Hop

4 comments:

  1. Putting the pot in a sink of cold water is a great idea. Don't know why I never thought of it. Sometimes simple tips like that really help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never made yogurt before, I guess I thought it was really complicated. But your instructions take the mystery out of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I've been thinking about making my own yogurt again. Would you consider sharing on my first blog hop? http://offthegridat-30.blogspot.ca/2012/07/frugal-i-made-it-tuesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog through another Homesteading blog and was just flipping through a few pages when I found what I had been wondering about the past few days... making joghurt without using electricity, and I found it on your site! Thanks so much...
    Also, I was wondering if you figured out how to make the joghurt a thicker consistency. I'm also using raw cow's milk, but was wondering if it was really necessary to hit it to 180 degrees, cause I hate to kill the good bacteria, sort of defeats the purpose to keeping it wholesome.

    ReplyDelete