Monday

Peach Pickin'



Last week we went peach picking at a local U-pick orchard. 


Rylan was absolutely in love with the orchard and came home with a perfect vision of how he wants his future orchard to look.  And I will say it was nice- the trees were all pruned and kept to a accessible height. Even Annika could reach a lot of the fruits.


 We picked a ton. In about 15 min. A total of 5 bushels- with one half bushel being nectarines.


 See that nectarine Cale is holding? They were huge! We had 3 carts full of fruit  to bring home with us.


Aren't the beautiful. I love the color! And the kids had a blast, and would have picked more if we had let them.


We also picked a gallon of blackberries while we were there. They had apples too, but those weren't quite ready.


Then I spent just over 2 days in the kitchen. Peeling and cutting and boiling and canning. In total I got 84 quarts of peaches. And the knife only slipped once! Which in my book is a success! We still have a fair amount of nectarines left for eating and a few peaches to make some preserves. 


If you've never canned peaches and are planning on it, I've written up the how-to over on The Free Range Life!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Hopefully Rylan dies get his orchard when he is grown up. You kids look like they really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice fruit! Jeremiah called the peach orchard here, and they said it had been bulldozed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous fruit!!! I want to visit an orchard and fill our pantry. It will have to be next year for me.

    ReplyDelete