Saturday

Introducing Johnny and June

 

Today started just the same as the past few, I get up and run outside and walk Bertie and Bella from their shed in the not-yet-fenced pasture to their old yard with the boys. I have to drag them up since all they want to do is eat along the way. Bertie was a couple days overdue so I have been checking on her often. About an hour later I looked out the window and didn't see her, so I ran to check on her. She made herself a nest in the barn and refused to get up. So I ran to get some grain to maybe entice her to get up and by the time I get back she is up and fine and really wants the grain. This goat is the queen of false alarms. I tie her- and Bella, who has jumped the fence in order to get Bertie's grain- in the lower pasture just in case. And leave them for a bit.

About an hour later, when we come out to clear the old barn wood and work on fencing, she is standing in the grass. Not eating, obviously contracting. Finally in labor. I lock her in her shed and she stuffs her face in the corner and pants. 

Cohen went down to check on her after lunch and comes running back saying she is making a lot of noise. I put Annika down for a nap and go to check. There are feet.


A couple minutes later kid #1- a buckling.

Bertie immediately starts to clean him up. Both are talking to each other quietly.

It doesn't take him long to attempt to stand. 


About 5 minutes later she starts to push again.


 And out comes kid #2- a doeling.

 

She took a little longer to stand and attempt to eat, but was up and moving with in 30 minutes. 

 

They both nursed and are now all dry, calm and comfortable with their Mama in their barn. 


The kids - my kids- love them, and have been checking on them a lot. 


None of them quite had the stomach to watch the birth, though Cale tried.

The first babies to be born here on our farm-

Johnny and June



8 comments:

  1. Amazing! Thank you for sharing! Birth is a beautiful thing no matter who it is. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, how beautiful and exciting! Really, there is nothing much cuter than a newborn goat. I'm sure you'll have a blast with them! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. Amazing! How sweet is that? I love the names Johnny and June. :) And I have to admit I teared up a little when you said they were the first babies born on your FARM. Awwww.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! They are adorable! We have a momma goat and two kids we bought last summer, but this is the year we want to breed and raise our own on our little farm. It's exciting and a little scary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just had our first two goats born last week to our farm. It was such a great experience although it was at 2am! Congrats on the two baby goats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! It is quite an amazing experience to have them born on your farm. Good luck! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete