Thursday

Field Trip Friday: Asheville Botanical Gardens


This week Rylan asked to go to either the NC Arboretum or the Asheville Botanical Gardens so that he could take some pictures of flowers to enter in the fair. We decided to try the Botanical Gardens since we've never been. It was very nice, and not at all what I was expecting. I was thinking it would be similar to the University of Tennessee's Trial Gardens, but it was much more naturalized.


















  The kids were automatically drawn to the water and rocks. And flip flops are not the shoes to wear while chasing an excited toddler over slippery rocks! We spent a lot of time skipping rocks and stomping in puddles and streams.



















Rylan took pictures with my camera so he could get a better shot for his fair entries. He also hogged the camera taking pictures of every tree he hasn't seen before. And their leaves. And their sign. He was pretty excited about some of them since they were on his "want to see" list. He also has an "already seen list" which currently lists about 115 tree species.




We saw a few caterpillars to identify later. And we found a tree with an odd fruit-like seed pod. Rylan collected some seeds from the Cucumber tree and Spice Bush to try and plant at home. We also came home with a new Peterson's Field Guide- A Field Guide to Eastern Trees. And a new bird book too.  Rylan is excited to go back in the spring, since he saw signs for many of the wild flowers he's been wanting to see.

So that was our field trip of the week. Now it's your turn! Did you take a fun outing this week? Did you let your kids explore nature? A museum? Zoo? A neighborhood walk?  Link up below and share your experience! If you don't have a blog, just leave a comment with your favorite field trip.

Please link back to It's a Boy's Life and Field Trip Friday to spread the word!

linked to Fantastic Foto Field Trips,

8 comments:

  1. I am not sure I have ever heard of a cucumber tree:) Love the shots of the catepillars

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a cool (as in temperature) and relaxing place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog and for invited me to linkup! I was happy to and will definitely do so in the future! :-) Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Asheville Botanical Gardens. It is beautiful there. We used to live in Sylva, but just recently moved to Golden, CO. Have you been to Asheville Nature Center? My kids loved it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up with us on The Post! I added my fieldtrip to your link too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for asking me to be a part of this. And it looks like you and your little crew had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an exciting place to visit! I am putting Asheville Botanical Gardens on my "places I want to go" list!

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are some very impressive caterpillars!

    Glad your kiddos had a good time. If there is water, kids want to be in it! :-)

    ReplyDelete