Wednesday

{Review} My Home School Grades


At this point in our homeschooling journey, I don't really give that many grades. Actually the only thing that we grade is math and that is mostly because Teaching Textbooks does that for me. But I have never actually averaged all those lessons and tests up into a final grade. Nevertheless, when I was given the chance to try out My Home School Grades all it took was one look at their website for me to be excited to try it out. 

About the Product:

 

My Home School Grades is a very simple web application (accessible on your computer, smartphone or tablet). It's a way to keep track of your children's classes, grades and activities and in the end produce a very simple, professional transcript of their education. You can find all sorts of how-to videos on their website to get you started, but really they aren't needed since everything is laid out and very easy to navigate. 



You start by entering your student(s). Then you can add all of their classes. You can enter the class name, grade level, how many credits, if it's an AP/Honors course, if it's a Pass/Fail course, school year, subject, etc. My Home School Grades also made it very easy by providing some of the most common curricula for you, and if you are more of an unschooler or use a different curricula you can use the other/custom listing. 
Once you've added a class you can start adding grades. Simply type in the lessons, test, quizzes and the grade. You have option of grading by letter, fraction or by number. Based on your account settings final grades will automatically be shown as Percent number, Letter, or Letter +/-. Some of the curriculum choices have their lessons already names and listed so that all you have to do is enter in the grade. You also have the option of entering just a final grade, as well as entering the grades for those classes earned through dual enrollment.



All of the calculating has been done for you. You can also weight the lessons, quizzes, tests and labs differently in order to calculate the final grade in a way you want. I also wanted to point out the flexibility here- even if you are an unschooler or don't use a lot of pre-made curricula, your child will still need some sort of high school transcript in order to graduate. You can uses these 4 categories- lessons, quizzes, tests and labs- as any thing you want. To you they can mean anything you deem an important part of their learning process and gauge of their comprehension.


You can also add all of your child's extracurricular activities and achievements. You can choose for a pre-populated list that includes categories such as work, community service, Scouts, 4-H, school, church, etc. You can add a name and description to the activity as well as listing any awards and references to go with it.




The second part of My Home School Grades is the transcript. They take all of the information you enter over the years and create a very nice looking transcript listed by grade level. You can choose to start the transcript at any level or just include the High School years. You can export multiple transcripts so you can include a comprehensive, all grades one for your files and a more official high-school only one for graduation and college applications. Also included on the transcript are the calculated GPA, points and credits for each year as well as at graduation.

My Thoughts on this Application:

Honestly, I loved it. It was easy to set up, easy to navigate, and easy to use. Some of the things I liked most:
  • The fact that all the calculations are done for you. No matter how you enter the grades- fraction, percent, letter- in the end the grades are listed uniformly how you want them.
  • The customer service is wonderful! Any problems, questions, suggestions, etc you have I have no doubt the creators of this program will do what they can to help. They truly want this to be accessible and useable for all homeschoolers.
  • I loved the transcripts. It's part of who I am, but I have always loved the look of lists like these and I think their transcripts are done simply and beautifully with all the right information included. There is also just enough flexibility so that you can choose certain elements to include or leave out.
The only bad thing to come out of using this program is that now high school is very much on my mind. But I guess seeing as that next year is the last year before we move into high school I guess I should be starting to think about it a little more!

How to get it for yourself:

 

My Home School Grades is very affordably priced at $49.99 for a yearly membership! You can also pay monthly at a rate of $5.99/month. These rates include any future upgrades and additions to the application as well as unlimited students and free support. They offer a 30 day money-back guarantee, so you can see for yourself how great this application is and how it will work for your family!

**UPDATE: My Home School Grades  has made LOTS of changes and added many, many features since this review was written. My oldest is in high school now and this program has been so valuable in planning his high school classes, activities and keeping track of grades! **





7 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm starting to think about high school too…and my oldest is only in 2nd grade! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you can figure it out in about five minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My DD just finished her first year of highschool and I must say it is a bit of learning curve for me.

    Transcripts are one of my areas of concern because we are unschoolers. I have looked at the articles and resources at Let's Homeschool High School (includes stuff for junior high and college) and they have a good bit on transcripts because we are unschoolers.

    I am not sure if my daughter is going to college or not. She is working on starting her own business right now and is doing a great job with it, but you never know. Three years is a long time and things change daily.

    I appreciate your candid review of this program. I will check it out.

    Joyfully,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also use this program and love it! It's so easy to use and I love that I can assign classes by the quarter, semester, or the whole year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use this program and love how easy it was to figure out. I also appreciate how you can break things down into quarters, semesters, or the whole year - we are a little out of sync with math and this helps a lot when we switch to the next grade level mid year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks interesting. I might have to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH. MY. GOSH. I can't even begin to think about giving grades yet! This is our first year of homeschooling (starting out in K). I'm heading to check out the rest of your blog, I have boys too and I need all the help I can get on this new journey of ours! :) I'm your newest follower visiting from the Hip Homeschool Hop! Jenn http://teaching2stinkers.blogspot.com/@

    ReplyDelete