Sunday

24 Days of Christmas: Day 6 and 7

Day 6
Peppermint Playdough
Here's my favorite recipe:
in a medium pot place
2 cups flour
2 cups water
2 T oil
4 tsp cream of tarter
1 cup salt
coloring of your choice
scent of your choice
turn on heat to medium and stir until the mixture holds together and pulls away from the sides of the pot. Knead until smooth.
I also added red glitter during the kneading process this time around. The peppermint smells wonderful! And the boys played with it all day. I also brought out our Christmas cookie cutters to use with the new dough.

Day 7

Potato stamped bags and paper

To make the stamps I cut the potatoes in half and used cookie cutters (a Christmas tree and candy cane). Press the cutters down into the potato and use a knife cut around the excess, just as deep as the cutter reaches. I also made a snowman using 3 measuring spoons- making a negative print.

Then the boys decorated gift bags and large sheets of paper to use as gift wrap later on.
To stamp I usually soak folded paper towels in diluted paint. This makes a good stamping pad that keeps the kids from getting too much paint on the stamp. And results in a good print, not a blob. This time we were out of our red and green tempera paint so we used finger paints. They worked just smeared around on the tray.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sadie,
    First thank you for your comment. It is such a wonderful blessing to be able to get a vehicle and that will fit the whole family comfortably not just the kids and I, I cannot begin to Be thankful enough. I to pray that it continues to work out and through.
    I also want to say I LOVE your christmas activties you are so talented and creative, I used to be that way when my kids were younger but, now that they are older they don't want to do stuff so much.
    Example last night I decided to do Origami start ornaments and only 2 kids out of my 5 hung around I thought it was a multi age craft.
    I don't know I think this will be the last year for activities because they are just not interested or into it, they are okay with board games, or some painting, even play dough I think your idea with peppermint play dough may work for us (I am going to borrow it) but, I will suggest things to them and I get groans and moans and it's to much like school...we don't want to do school.
    So I don't know, but I am enjoying seeing the crafts, activities that you and your children are doing and come up with.

    Hugs,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie/Sarah,

    In response to your comments on my blog:
    I cannot thank you enough for pointing this out. As you can tell, I was in such a blind panic about what I could possibly do to serve my civic duty while still caring for my kiddos that I never even thought to check if there was an exemption. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
    I did think about bringing the kids with me at one point during my panic and just sit there like "OK, what now?". It would be much funnier with 4 kids though--I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I always enjoy your blog but these Advent posts are especially good. Loving the inspiration I'm getting - & seeing your little bugs being so creative! Much Christmassy cheer to you all :)

    ReplyDelete